Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Great Migration ~ Part 1 ~

 Rio & Sky waiting for me at the gate this morning! Good Morning!

 I don't know about you, but I feel like somethings in life happen for a reason... Today Rio & I moved barns... this was not something I planned on doing. I loved the barn we were at. So it was a difficult choice to move... especially given all the drama we lived through during our first year in Central Florida before we found Seminole Stables.

In the past 3 months my friend bought a horse, and moved out to Seminole. And, then we meant Megan who was leasing a Seminole horse while she waited to get her own horse moved. The three of us clicked and I found myself riding more then I have in a year (consistently anyways). It has been so nice having people to ride with who are out the same hours as me, and have goals of training and showing; which most of the Seminole boarders don't... not that there's anything wrong with trail riding for fun, but I really wanted to do more. I realized with out other people to train along side I'd lost my motivation and given up.

So when my two co-horts found a barn closer to home that they liked, and decided to move, I had to think long and hard about going too... the end result... we went, and I'm hoping it will be the right decision for us.

When I woke up this morning and got ready to head to the barn for the move I felt pretty organized and prepared. I had all my stuff moved out already. I had my coggins and vaccination records ready to go... got out plenty early to make sure everything was ready when the girl trailering us showed up. It was cold and the horses were definitely feeling it, and a bit hyped up so I took some time to longe and ride him in the round pen before wrapping him. We were ready and waiting when Kellye pulled in with the trailer. This is a big deal considering how scatterbrained I can sometimes be.






I have to say that I am incredibly grateful that I have a mellow laid back horse with a solid foundation in ground manners. Rio loaded on the trailer like a pro first attempt and then patiently stood there for over an hour while we attempted to load his not so cool headed girl friend....






After a while we decided to try unloading him and giving her more space to load, but she was having none of it. I was afraid he might not load if he saw how worked up she got about it, but after another 90  minutes of trying, and failing to load Sky he walked right back on the trailer with a look of "what's wrong with you" pointed at the crazy mare.

At that point our chauffeur had had enough of fighting with Sky who was rearing and striking out and absolutely refusing to even get all 4 feet on the trailer ramp let alone in the trailer. The decision was made to call in a second person with a different trailer, and for Rio to move on out.

So while Crystal and Sky played "get on the darn trailer" for another 3 hours I went and settled Rio in for the night.... he walked off the trailer looked around... and went "ok this place is cool"... then spent the next two hours going from fence line to fence line in his pasture talking to the other horses and people who were stopping to admire him.






Megan's horse made an even longer trip in from Wisconsin, and was also settling in today so we spent time just hanging out, and watching the horses acclimate. Having made a similar move with my own mare from Colorado in 2004 I don't envy Megan. She was happy to finally have the stress of planning the move over and her horse safe and sound in Florida.

Belle setting in after a 1300 mile trip!

And, what about Sky? She never made it on the trailer, but did manage to hurt herself... so a little doctoring and a tranquilizer and we'll try round two on Tuesday with an experienced hauler...



Crystal's predicament has made me realize just how lucky and grateful I am that I've gotten my head on straight when it comes for planning for the un-expected... I was able to help her out with the shipping costs when things went south, and it felt good to be in a position to help someone. But, I think she learned a hard life lesson today about planning ahead (especially with horses who don't like to load in trailers) both when it comes to schooling, and time, but also finances. Things always cost more then you think they will, and sometimes things don't go your way.

She has a gardien angel on her shoulder though because one of the boarders at the new barn is good with problem loaders and has offered to try and move her.

It'll be me attempting to help load her because Crystal has to work so lets all say a prayer that Sky gets on the trailer!...


Settled in for the night...

TO BE CONTINUED....

No comments:

Post a Comment