Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Feeling A Little Water Logged...

As I type this grey clouds are moving into view and I can hear the low rolling clap of distant thunder. I know we need the rain, don't get me wrong, and it is very beautiful. But, it's put a damper on riding lately... no pun intended... damp get it? Ok maybe not so funny. But, seriously, what happened to Florida being the "SUNSHINE" state!

I feel like maybe Rio & I should take up scuba lessons
Clearly riding has been limited because of the weather, but we've still made some good progress in the last few weeks when we do ride.We've spent quite a bit of time on the trails with Megan & Belle which has really been good for both Rio & I. He no longer rides out tense and really seems to enjoy the trails. We've found a good clear spot for safe canters and gallops, and a nice open area to work on flat work out on the trail. And, we have the added bonus of riding in the woods and jumping over small obstacles  and logs. We run into all kinds of critters, bunnies, birds, deer, bear, turtles, horse eating butterflies, even occasionally people, and or people with their dogs, and we pass by cows, goats, dogs, and other horses turned out as well as people working with tractors and larger machinery in their yards. Not too much bothers him anymore. Lately I've even been riding him on a loose rein which never would have happened on the trail before. We lead now as well, no longer bent on following the safety of another horse. Rio even walks back a short distance from Megan's barn on his own content to be by himself which I NEVER thought would every happen. The different sights and sounds take away from the monotony of riding circles in the ring which has been good for my super smart pony who's wheels are always turning.

We've become entertainment too for the people whose houses back up to the open grassy area where we will occasionally do some flat work or hill work. You'd think they'd never seen a horse before the way one guy stares. I even had a family role down their car window to say hi and point at us while we were walking back down the rode from Megan's barn to ours... I felt kind of like we were objects in a zoo.

A lesson in the rain
Rio is spending his summer vacation teaching little kids how to ride... something he is surprisingly patient with for such a big guy who's mind is always working. We've made friends with 2 of the girls from my church and their mom who love Rio, and of course Rio being such a big ham, loves all the attention they shower on him. Last week the girls got to experience a riding lesson in the rain... again I ask where is the sun!? It didn't seem to phase them at all, and it actually cooled things off and felt kind of good. Today, though it is poring out not just drizzling  so our lesson may have to hold off. I'm bummed out because I've really come to enjoy teaching the lessons.

And, speaking of lessons, I've been taking lessons since March with an AMAZING trainer! We have made so much progress, but that deserves a post all of its own. Hopefully I'll have time to update again this weekend. I've also traded tutoring services for personal training services so along with riding 3-4 days a week I've added walking/running a few times a week, and working out with our trainer twice a week to my weekly regimen...  taking lessons again and riding with friends who want to ride competatively more has definitely woken up the sleeping athlete in me. I'm hoping to take advantage of the time I have as a teacher during the summer to get both Rio and I into better shape. More on that in a later post per haps.
Katie's depiction of Rio

For now, I'm just staring out at the down pore of rain, saying a silent prayer to the rain gods, and hoping it stops before I have to go back out in it to tutor... or at the very least in time for me to teach my lesson tonight...  I don't think they are going to cooperate though. *Sigh*.

Time to build an ark!

No comments:

Post a Comment