Saturday, August 31, 2013

Flying Solo...

Do you remember that moment as a child when you finally road your bike with out training wheels? That feeling of sheer terror when mom or dad let go of the bike and you thought you might fall for the one millionth and one time, followed by the exhilaration of freedom in finally accomplishing something you'd worked so hard for when you managed to stay upright moving forward, the wind blowing in your hair and newfound independence finally within your grasp. Learning to ride a bike is a right of passage for youth, and its just one of many steps we take along the path to growing up.

Being an educator and now an Aunt to two beautiful little kids I can't help, but look at the world around me with my "teacher" glasses on, realizing that we never stop growing (if we're lucky). There are always fears and unknowns, but each experience makes us a stronger version of ourselves. 

I see that in my riding and in my horse's development, especially lately, since starting back in lessons with my most awesome trainer. Rio has always been a curious willing horse, but there have been times when he was afraid of his own shadow, or the trash can on the corner, or the giant sandhill cranes trumpeting as they walk lazily down the road in front of us, or the enormous... at least to Rio, barking Chihuahua, or the kid on the bike wising by with out a a care in the world, or the imaginary horse eating monster that no one else can see. You get the idea.  

When I first acquired Rio he was a green coming six year old. And, when I say green I'm not exaggerating . We used to go around the ring with our head in the air looking more like a giraffe then a horse looking at everything and pulling every stop in the book to avoid any real work. We used to spook on a regular basis sometimes sitting down like a dog in the process. New things always triggered disaster.

In the past few weekends I've out and down the road by myself relaxed (for the most part) and enjoying the ride going a mile and a half all on our own. And, I realized in that moment how much my pony has matured and grown up.

I am a super proud momma.






No comments:

Post a Comment