Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The One In Which We Play Musical Barns...

Ready to move out...
 I may not have written a blog in a while, but that doesn't mean there's not lots to update... if anyone even really reads my blog given how sporadic I am about posting regularly. 

Big news item A - we've moved barns again. With both of my riding buddies moving out of the neighborhood there didn't seem much point in keeping my horse at a barn where he was turned out on sand at a barn that was too far for me to get to on a regular basis... 

And, when last I left you all we were dealing with skinny horse issues... we seemed to have resolved that issue... not by adding more or different feed to Rio's regimen, but by moving barns yet again.... I'll let you come to your own conclusions about what was going on there, but lets just say my horse is eating half of what I was paying for him to eat at our old place and gaining weight at his new place. 

Peak-A-Boo

As it turns out it was a good move regardless of what spurred me to look at yet another barn... I say yet another because this makes barn number 5 in just under 4 years since moving to central Florida... And those of you who know me know I'm pretty loyal. I typically stay in one place once I find a good fit. We were at our last barn in GA for 5+ years. 

Once upon a time I had a gut feeling the Orlando area wasn't a good place to keep horses, and now that we're here it turns out I was right. There are very few places that are reasonably priced, safe, clean, offer good care and proper feed, and have decent amenities... like a bathroom for boarders. I'm really not too hard to please. 

All the complaining aside I think we've finally hit the jackpot. We're staying at a friends place in Osteen which is about 15 minutes outside of the Sanford area where I live. Its the first boarding facility I've found in 5 years that has grass!!! Rio is in seventh heaven to say the least. And, for the first time since moving he's turned out with other horses. For a horse who was raised in a natural heard setting its obvious watching him run with the group that he has missed being a part of the heard. 

And, while he spends most of his time turned out he does have a stall for bad weather days & the friend who owns the barn has taken amazingly good care of him so far doing everything I've asked to make things a good fit for us. 

The barn is missing a graded arena, which I really miss. Riding in the pasture when its been wet because of rain is a bit of a musical chairs act  in and of it self trying to find a dry enough place to ride. But, the trade for lack of arena happens to be close to 1500  acres of trails right out our backdoor. 

Out with his new friends



Over all Rio is happy and that makes me happy. Riding time is limited because of work, but I'm still working with my trainer a couple times a month, and looking at a group lesson here or there with the trainer across the street from out new place. We are still on the hunt for a new saddle... how hard could it be to find something to fit both of us was apparently not the right mantra to begin that search with because three months later I still have not found a saddle. 



On the plus side the horse I was told would never jump is now jumping 2'6 verticals willingly. At some point in the near future I will do a training update because Rio is truly doing amazing, but this blog is getting a little long as it is. 

And, lastly we're headed to the Children's Miracle Networkd for the third year in a row. Its a great cause & a lot of fun. Look for a blog update about that soon! If you want to donate to the cause you can sponsor Rio & I here


No comments:

Post a Comment