Sunday, October 4, 2015

Make It Go Sideways...

Where to start? the last 3 weeks have actually been pretty eventful in spotted pony land... which is a very nice change considering how little I've had time to ride in the last 6 months. Tomorrow is my last day of freedom before spring break ends and the teaching marathon to summer vacation begins, and I plan to make the most of it, and keep my forward momentum going so that by some miracle we might be ready to try a training level dressage class at some point this summer .

Rio went to his first show in... a really long time, and his first english pleasure show ever with his young leaser Laura. It was fun getting to know Laura and her mom Carol a little bit better, and bond over the experience through prepping for the show which included a 3 and a half hour braiding marathon... I will never do that again! I'd rather pay someone else to braid! 

I was really impressed with the two of them I have to say. Rio got off the trailer and pretty much settled in like it was his long lost home. He placed well despite some communication glitches between the two, and a lot of rushing between classes. 

More importantly I think going to the show served a few good purposes. First, we all got a little closer, and having a team is vital to riding and showing successfully. Second, I was able to get Rio out in a controlled setting, and act as support from the ground which was a confidence boost for myself.  With out their help, and ability to haul a trailer that probably would not have happened, and it made the idea of going to a show and riding myself a little less intimidating. I was able to school Rio between classes, and give Laura a few pointers, that I think made a difference in their final two rides of the day. Again a major confidence boost for me in what I know, my ability to teach others, and how well I know my horse. 

Laura was able to compare her riding with the other competitors and I think came away with a better understanding of what it means to have connection and consistent contact through the reins and using her seat as a driving factor to attain that connection. She's starting lessons with my new instructor, and I am very excited to see her work on her dressage skills because I think she has a lot of natural ability and drive, and the end result will be a very good rider. I have to also selfishly admit that the added rides Rio will get out of it with Casey our new coach will be an equally awesome bonus. I see such a difference in how he responds to aids and moves in just two lessons with her. 

We've got a lot to work on. Our biggest issue is that Rio is stiff through his back and needs a lot of suppling and strengthening in that department. I'm working on sitting straight, and keeping my center of balance back over the saddle so that I can ride more effectively to help him bend and stay balanced. When I'm correct he's correct. Its made me much more aware of how I affect him. Even though we're struggling the thing that excites me the most is that by the end of each lesson I can feel a difference in my own posture and effectiveness, and in Rio's responsiveness to my aides. While the next several weeks are going to be stressful with all the testing and the end of school year routines to get through making that progress is a very motivating factor in my attitude when it comes to making time to ride at the end of a 12+ hour work day. 

The other part that I love about our new riding instructor is how fun she makes the lessons. She listens to what you want, and sets realistic goals to work on, and she has a sense of humor about the whole thing that makes you relax. Even during our first lesson 5 minutes in I felt like I was talking to a friend which hopefully she will become, but point being she made it very fun, and very not intimidating. My favorite quotes of the week include... make it go sideways... which sounds silly, but the little bit of lateral movement I've learned to get out of him really has made a huge difference in suppling him... and "You have to bend... you're not a 2 by 4, your not a 2 by 6, and you're definitely not a 2 x 8".... which pretty much accurately describes Rio's main issue right now. At the very least the banter back and fourth makes for an interesting ride. 

Given how much work his canter needs this may be a lofty goal, but I'd like to enter him in a training level dressage class at some point this summer, which right now doesn't seem completely impossible if we can find some consistency over the next couple of months. 

On a side note... my roommate is fired! The job of picture taker and videographer is now open  for applications... the only major requirement is that you be able to keep the camera focused on the horse... in the right direction... though I will admit her videos are entertaining... just a little... 

Happy riding all!

No comments:

Post a Comment