Thursday, May 17, 2012

Equine-nomis (Part II)

We all know horses are expensive to keep. I myself have struggled to keep my own horse over the last year and a half with the loss of a steady job, and the horse market in Central Florida being on the higher side of expenses in comparison to other places I’ve lived.

I’ve been fortunate enough to have had the experience of keeping my horse on my own property, on smaller backyard properties and at the big expensive show barns… and just about every other option in-between. I’ve seen a lot of good and a lot of bad ideas when it comes to horse care and management and the economics of it all. And, I’ve spent a lot of time reading, and researching in the last several months.

What I’ve come up with is a list of ways to help cut equine costs. Some are only appropriate if you own your own property or do self care while others are better for boarding, but none the less here they are:

Feeding
·      For easy keepers:
-       Feed grass hays like coastal which are often cheaper then T&A or Alfalfa
-       Feed more hay and less concentrates
-       Think about feeding a balance ration as apposed to grain
·      If you buy your own feed - buy in bulk
-       Feed is generally cheaper if you buy in bulk
-       Ordering your grain through a mill as apposed to buying it by the bag from a feed supplier is almost always cheaper
·      Buy your winter feed early! Often there will be a shortage of hay in the winter which leads to higher prices
·      Streamline your feeding and care and management in general!
-       The more organized you are the less time it takes which is huge if horses are a business, but maybe not your full time job
-       The more consistently a horse is cared for the more likely they will be healthy… no surprise vet bills!
·      If you have to feed supplements and you can order in bulk with a friend or the whole barn you’ll save and maybe even get free shipping

Tack, Equipment, Grooming Supplies Ect…
·      Don’t be cheep!  Buying quality equipment initially will mean that the things you buy last longer.
·      Maintain your equipment! Regularly cleaning tack, and keeping all equipment in a safe clean environment will limit ware and tare
·      Repair things that “break” if possible. There’s no reason to throw out a blanket with a tare in it if it can be stitched and patched. 
·      Share! My saddle needs to be reflocked.  Can’t afford it so I borrow my leaser’s saddle to ride in an exchange for a discount on her lease. Eventually I will fix my saddle, but in the mean time we both save on some money.
·      Swap! Need something, but don’t have it, have something but don’t need it? Swap! Do a barn swap or go to your local tack store and see if they have a resale or swap day.  For those who are in central FL check out Saddler of Orlando! They have several of these a year including one this Saturday!
·      Don’t waist! Use grooming supplies like shampoo or conditioner sparingly.
·      Use alternate grooming tools to cut costs
-       Dawn soap makes a great alternative to expensive shampoos, won’t irritate the horse’s skin and does its job quite well!
-       Swav Shampoos and conditioners also work very well!
-       A mix of Apple Cider Vinegar, Mouth Wash, and water makes a great and very economical fly spray in comparison to $20 a bottle and up at the tack store.
-       MTG while not cheep makes a great conditioner and works! It can be used very sparingly… a lot goes a very long way!


Vet & Farrier Care
·      If your horse can go barefoot I highly recommend it! I have a great barefoot farrier who charges a bit more then your typical farrier, but he comes less often because I maintain my horse’s feet by rasping them periodically myself between trims. However this is something my super farrier has taught me to do and should not be done with out knowledge or in place of trimming all together!
·      Team Up! Save on farrier or vet trip fees by having your horse treated or trimmed with a larger group of horses.
·      Maintaining proper vet and farrier care. Ultimately doing so will save you an emergency trip from the vet or farrier.

Showing, Training, Lessons Ect…
·      If you take lessons try taking a group lesson
·      Cut out lessons. If you can’t afford it like me at the moment take a lesson here or there and work on things in between on your own… only good for people who are not beginners of course!
·      Cut down on showing and work on sharing transportation to shows or other events
·      Make your own clothing as apposed to buying everything… I wish I had some talent here!

Barn Vs. Pasture & General Management Tips
·      If you can keep your horse outside do it!
-       This is a more natural environment which equals a healthier horse
-       It saves you shavings or stall mats
·      If your horse is in a stall buy shavings in bulk. Sometimes you can even get them FREE if you know where to look!
·      Sell your manure!  It makes great garden compost! If you have to get rid of it anyways sell it!

Lease Your Horse
I offset my costs by partially leasing my horse. Always have and probably always will. However its important to keep in mind your horse’s capabilities, and the rider you choose to pair with that horse.  When I buy a horse I don’t just look at it for how it meets my needs and skill level, but how hard it will be to lease the horse if needed. The less complicated the horse the easier it will be to lease it out. I also lease to more then one person because it makes it more affordable for all parties despite the frustrations of having to juggle schedules.

Lastly – Teach & Pass On What You Know
I am not a professional horse person. Horses are a hobby for me. I consider my skill level to be on the higher spectrum of intermediate.  I am lucky enough to know enough about solid basics, and horse care to be able to teach. Teaching beginner lessons and helping first time horse leasers/owners helps me offset my cost of equine care.

For Those Who Don’t Have A Horse Yet…
Consider lessons and leasing before you buy, and when you finally do take the plunge make sure that you know the cost of horse care in your area!

I am sure that I’ve forgotten something or that there is something to be added to this list that I have not come across so for my few loyal readers feel free to sound off and share your suggestions for saving $$ when it comes to owning a horse. For those thinking about getting a horse and wanting to know the average cost ask away! I am happy to share my  own experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment